How To Remove Blue Hair Dye From Hair- 8 Effective ways
Electric blue hair color has been the “IT” hair dye for quite some time now. Every other fashionista tried this color to look uber cool sometime in their life. And we are sure that you did it too.
However, when you are done with this “funky dye” and want to change things up, you might find that removing blue dye from hair can be a challenging task. Not everything works well with this tint and might leave you with various shades of faded blue that looks extremely unappealing.
But then again, don’t be disheartened so easily. We have just WHAT YOU NEED!
Below, we have discussed more than a few effective ways to remove blue hair dye from your hair so that you can have tint-free hair again. Keep on reading to find out more, girls!
8 Easy, Efficient Ways To Remove Blue Hair Dye From Hair
Blue hair is sexy, trendy, and fashionable. However, when you are done, you are done. Let’s discuss some of the most effective ways to remove blue dye from your hair without any disappointment!
1. Bleaching Can Do Wonders
If you are looking for a fast and fool-proof way to remove that blue tint from your manes, don’t hesitate to try a bleach bath! It is effective and quick and gives your desired result in no time.
However, as bleach is a harmful chemical, you just cannot use it anyhow you want. To keep your precious tresses safe and healthy, you need to take some extra measures when you use them. Otherwise, there are chances that you might damage the tresses while removing dye from them.
And because it is a tricky process, it is best if the bleaching is done by a professional. If you want to try it at home, make sure to use high-quality products and follow the instructions carefully.
How to do
- Mix the bleach and the solution in a plastic bowl.
- Add the same amount of shampoo to the bleach
- Apply the mixture to your damp hair.
- Make sure all your tresses are covered.
- Put on a shower cap and sit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the shower cap and rinse your hair with cold water.
Pro Tip: Do not shampoo your hair right after a bleach bath.
2. Try Out Clarifying Shampoo
If you feel a bleach bath is harsh for your manes, you can always try a clarifying shampoo to get rid of that blue dye from your hair. It not only deep cleanses your hair strands to remove blue tint successfully but also washes them carefully for beautiful, gorgeous hair.
However, before adopting this method, you must remember a few things. First, it is not as quick in removing blue dye as bleach. Second, it works incredibly well on semi-permanent dye. And lastly, you won’t see any drastic results immediately. Clarifying shampoos might need 10 to 15 washes to eradicate the color and make your hair look as-before again.
If you are okay with these issues, a clarifying shampoo would be the best method for you!
How to do
- Wet your tresses completely.
- Lather the shampoo in the hair and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse off with clean water and condition.
- Towel-dry the manes for best results.
3. White Vinegar Could Work
A white vinegar wash is a perfect remedy for you if you are looking for a natural way to remove the blue dye from your hair quickly and effectively. This method has gained immense popularity because it is not only efficient but also safe. The acid content of vinegar breaks down the hair dye particles and washes them off so that none of the tints is left on the hair.
If used properly, white vinegar won’t damage your delicate tresses in any way.
How to do
- Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a plastic bowl.
- Pour the mixture over your head so that your hair gets wet.
- Make sure all your manes are wet.
- Use a shower cap to cover your hair and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Wash off the vinegar with clear water to see astonishing results.
4. Vitamin C Tablets Can Do Wonders
Vitamin C tablets are yet another effective yet safe alternative that you can use on your manes to wipe off those blue dyes successfully. Rich in citric acid, these tablets can break off the color particles completely to make sure that they come off easily when you wash your manes.
Also, because they contain antioxidants and protect your manes from free-radical damage, Vitamin C tablets won’t harm your hair while you try to bring back their original color.
But remember that this might also take several applications before you achieve your desired results.
How to do
- Crush your Vitamin C tablets and make a fine powder.
- Mix the powder with 3 to 4 tablespoons of shampoo to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on damp hair and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water for the best results.
Pro Tip: Instead of Vitamin C tablets, you can use gels or even Vitamin C solutions to achieve the same results.
5. Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Can Remove Blue Dye
Just like clarifying shampoo, anti-dandruff shampoos are also efficient in removing blue tints from your hair successfully. As they have to clarify properties too, these shampoos can easily strip away the hair color without causing any damage to your precious tresses.
How to do
- Mix baking soda and water to make a semi-thick paste.
- Apply an anti-dandruff shampoo to your wet hair and leave it on for 5-8 minutes.
- Wash the shampoo completely.
- Apply the baking soda paste all over your hair and wait for 5-6 minutes.
- Rinse off the paste with cold water to see a visible difference in your hair.
6. Opposite Colors Work Amazing
One clever and quick way to get rid of that blue dye from your hair is to try an opposite color on your hair. The colors from the opposite side of the spectrum will result in a different color and successfully remove that blue tint forever.
However, this method is only applicable if you are ready to put flaunt a new color on your manes.
How to do
- Choose an opposite color from the spectrum and buy your favorite dye.
- Apply the dye all over your hair as per the instruction.
- Wash off with cold water to find out the blue tint is gone for good.
Pro tip: Make sure to check the spectrum before trying out a new color to dismiss the blue tint.
7. Dishwashing Soap Would Help
Even though it might seem a bit crazy, dishwashing soap actually works! The high acidic content of this liquid can remove the stubborn blue tint from your hair quickly [just like it removes grease and heavy oils from your dishes] and make them dye-free again.
How to do
- Mix equal parts shampoo and dishwashing liquid in a bottle.
- Apply this mixture to your wet hair and leave it on for at least 10 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and make sure to remove every bit of the mixture from your strands.
- Finish off with a moisturizing conditioner to restore any lost moisture.
8. Bath Salts Can Help
Just like other household items, bath salts also do wonders to remove the blue tint from your precious tresses. The mix of minerals, Epsom Salt, and sodium bicarbonate in this therapeutic salt can strip off the dye from the tresses perfectly without causing any excess damage to your manes
How to do
- Fill in your bathtub with water.
- Add a packet of your favorite bath salt to it.
- Soak your hair for as long as possible in the tub so that the salt can work its magic.
- After you are done soaking, rinse the hair with clear water.
- Shampoo and condition your hair to finish it off.
List of Hair Colors That Cancels Blue Hair
Not all the colors in the color spectrum would cancel out blue. Let’s see the colors that would cancel the blue tint so that it’s easier for you to decide what dye you should buy.
• Bright auburn
• Vivid red
Because you need to get off the blue dye from your manes, you need to do your research right. However, to save your time and patience, we have done the work for you. Go through the methods described above carefully. We are sure that you would find the one that suits you the best and help you remove the blue dye in no time.